Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Column: Good night, good luck and thanks for listening

My final column (at least in the forseeable future) was just published in this month's Madison Park Times:

For the last year and a half, I've had the rare privilege of publishing a monthly column in the Madison Park Times. I've been able to bring my perspective on an enormity of issues-from global warming to gun control-to you, all with the added touch that comes with growing up and living in Madison Valley.

This was a rare opportunity that not a lot of people are able to get. Having a monthly column with your face on it is not an everyday occurrence, and I thank former editor Vera Chan-Pool for giving me another go at it and taking a chance on me. Being able to voice my opinion each month was a great promotion from interning in high school, and certainly not one I was expecting.

I would also like to thank all the people who sent their feedback. When I was writing for music magazines and college papers, it was rare that I heard passionate feedback from readers. I may not have directly responded to each one, but don't go thinking I didn't appreciate every single letter, positive or negative.

Believe it or not, I read every single letter sent to me by readers. Some of them required me to read them more than once. Whether you were agreeing with my argument that environmentalists use fear tactics or dismissing me as a "Republican hack," the very fact that you took time out of your day to write a response to what I had to say is very humbling.

Many of my opinions run very counter to the accepted way of thinking in Seattle, and as a result I wasn't sure how a regular helping of my perspective would be taken. Would people even read my column beyond the first paragraph? Will I get thousands of angry letters?

Fortunately the answer to the former was "Yes," and the answer to the latter was "No." I hope my perspective compelled some people to think outside of the box. After all, it's very important for us to listen to each other.

My departure has nothing to do with anyone but myself. I continue to maintain a very warm relationship with the Madison Park Times and Pacific Publishing Company. My column is ending on the eve of my transplanting from Seattle to San Francisco, where I will continue to write. Life changes, and like a good book the chapter concludes with one stage of life where another stage starts.

The future is unpredictable, and things happen we don't expect. Who knows? Maybe some time down the line, I'll be back in the Madison Park Times.

Thank you for giving me a chance and as Edward R. Murrow would say, "Good night and good luck."

No comments: