Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Missing Childhood



There's a melancholy feeling that comes with coming into adulthood. As one begins to grow older and take on responsibilities and managing their own life, there is a feeling of sadness at realizing that the wonderful childhood years are forever gone. There's nothing to miss about the awkward and often emotionally painful years of high school, but it's a true tragedy to realize that the years before puberty, when there was no limit to imagination, the world was full of wonder and one was innocent of the corruption of adulthood, are gone forever.

After relocating from my hometown to California, I can't seem to escape that feeling. I know there's no going back, but I can't help but miss my cats, my dog and my mom. I miss birthday parties and I miss my childhood friends, who are now just as different from those days as I am.

A new band called MGMT, which mixes electronic and hip hop beat styles with psychedlic rock, has released an album that seems almost dedicated to the melancholy feeling that I just wrote about. On the first track, "Time to Pretend," the singer boasts of living a careless lifestyle where he "lives fast and dies young" but later on gives into how he misses his childhood security:

I'll miss the playgrounds and the animals and digging up worms
I'll miss the comfort of my mother and the weight of the world
I'll miss my sister, miss my father, miss my dog and my home
Yeah, I'll miss the boredom and the freedom and the time spent alone


The theme continues throughout their album Oracular Spectacular, most notably on the song "Kids," which starts off with sounds of children playing. The lyrics aren't as strong as those on "Time to Pretend," but they are equally nostalgic:

You were a child
Crawling on your knees toward him
Making momma so proud
But your voice is too loud
We like to watch you laughing
Picking insects off of plants
No time to think of consequences

No comments: