Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Michelle Obama: America is feeling "justified in your own ignorance"


This was taken from a recent speech by Michelle Obama to students at the University of South Carolina:

We don’t like being pushed outside of our comfort zones. You know it right here on this campus. You know people sitting at different tables- you all living in different dorms. I was there. You’re not talking to each other, taking advantage that you’re in this diverse community. Because sometimes it’s easier to hold on to your own stereotypes and misconceptions. It makes you feel justified in your own ignorance. That’s America. So the challenge for us is are we ready for change?


This is really typical self-hating leftist stuff, and it probably all sounds perfectly tolerant and wonderful to Michelle Obama when it comes out of her mouth. I had a former roommate who on every other day would say "People in this country are ignorant" in discussions of everything from international politics to cable television.

It's a no-brainer, however, that this sort of nonsense doesn't jive well with the American people, most of which embrace the melting pot idea that all together we make one and that race and former nationality is ultimately irrelevant. That's my America. Apparently, Michelle Obama's America is one where everybody is ignorant and holding on to stereotypes and misconceptions. I wonder if that is Barack Obama's America too?

Barack Obama has already been damaged enough by his wife and pastor this early in the election. If he doesn't shut them up soon voters will end up shutting him up.

By the way, back in 2004 when I was a Kerry supporter I went to see Teresa Heinz Kerry speak. She had said some rash things during that campaign, but I don't recall her ever showing outright contempt for her country in the way that Obama's wife has. Obama is not a liberal, he is a leftist radical mocked up as a uniter.

Over at Hot Air Ed Morrissey said that Obama was half right:

Anyone who spent time at a college or even a high school with a diverse population knows that the first part of her statement is absolutely true. I discovered this for myself in college, ironically when I took an African-American Studies class at Fullerton State. We had a debate over diversity in public schools, and I said that my high school was a good example of how diversity could work — and I got challenged by a student who had gone to my school whom I had barely known. Despite the diversity, the populations didn’t interact much socially at either level of school.


I don't even think she was right there. I went to a very diverse high school as well, and I was shunned out by alot of very popular Caucasians who didn't want think I was up to snuff, and more socially capable and attractive kids of color entered the cool crowd. That's part of how teenagers are at that age and maybe even how high school is set up, and in college and work many people often continue with their habit of creating a clique and staying with it. It's not racism, and it doesn't have to do with some horrible evil rooted in the heart of American society, it has to do with human nature.
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: