Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"The Dude Abides"


Like many others, I worship at the altar of The Big Lebowski. One of the greatest movies of the modern era, in my humble opinion, this classic by the brilliant Coen Brothers continues to be a hilarious classic ten years after its release. The characters, most notably the Dude and Walter, seem real and remind the viewer of both themselves and people they may know. I have no idea how many times I've seen Lebowski but I'm quite sure it is somewhere in the hundreds.

NPR ran a feature on the Dude, the protagonist, who personifies slackers and "American informality," a quality of American life I know all too well. The narrator, Guy Raz, interviewed Jeff Bridges, who portrayed the Dude, who said this:

"I think there's a little dude in all of us," says Bridges. "That's probably why I like him, because I see a lot of myself in the guy."


At the bottom of the page, there's a recipe for the infamous White Russian, the beverage that the Dude is seen drinking throughout Lebowski whenever he's not lighting incense or smoking a blunt.
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: