Monday, May 12, 2008

Skull and buds

I found this story, which I first heard on the NPR program "The Bryant Park Project," simultaneously hilarious (in a very dark way), horrifying and numbingly sad:

The Kingwood teenager's story of decapitating a corpse and using the head to smoke marijuana was so outlandish that at first Houston Police Department senior police officer Jim Adkins did not believe it.

Yet, Kevin Wade Jones Jr., 17, appeared almost indifferent as he relayed the bizarre description of his and two friends' activities at an Humble area graveyard, Adkins said.

"I just doubted it because it's very morbid, and I couldn't see anybody doing something like this," Adkins said Thursday.

Not until police went to the home of another Kingwood 17-year-old, Matthew Richard Gonzalez, did the officer believe the tale.

"He regurgitated in his plate of food when I asked him about it," Adkins said. "So I knew there was some truth to the story."

I've always found the idea of having my body messed with after death to be a frightening thought, which is why I am definitely going to be cremated.

Over at Slate,
writer Arthur Delaney wrote about the science of being able to actually smoke marijuana out of a human skull, which it sounds like according to Delaney it is not very possible.
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: