Thursday, August 5, 2010

Anne Rice Quits Christianity


In a posting on her Facebook page, she said: "I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

Christianity is not really the problem for Miss Rice. Christianity, along with other faiths, tend towards a cemented view of the world that is more of a form of longing for cultural perpetuity than anything else. Expressions of oppressive religiosity are more reflective of that sort of societal expression than of the actual validity of a belief in God.

Take, for example, the hijab and the nijab in Islam. The Koran mandates that women dress "modestly" - a suggestion that means a forbiddance of running ramparts in a bathing suit but not a mandate to cover one's self so only the eyes can be seen. A friend of mine, Larry Bernard, who knows quite a bit about Islam, credits this with the receding of Islamic society since its golden age. "A people in decline need to be controlled," he said. It is no wonder then that it was when the American south was at its economic nadir that its race relations were the most extreme, or that, in the midst of extreme recession, we are seeing political activity that would never have normally made itself known.

Anne Rice doesn't really have a problem with God, she has a problem with what God is used for. I am not a believer, but if she is able to formulate what God is for herself, she may find she doesn't have to leave her faith at all.

If not, secular humanism and free-thinking is booming in response to the religious fundamentalism that has usurped much of the world. Rice has quite a community of non-believers if she cares to join.

Add to Technorati FavoritesShare

No comments: